UNDP Zimbabwe Jobs 2013 – Urgent Application
UNDP Zimbabwe Jobs Programme Coordinator Capacity Building for Local Government and Service Delivery.
The Ministry of Local Government, Urban and Rural Development (MoLGURD) with support from the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) designed a four year support programme on “Capacity Building for Local Government and Service Delivery” with the view of strengthening the Local Government (LG) sector capacities and improve service delivery to the people. The Support Programme focus areas are on harmonization of policy and legislative frameworks, institutional capacity building, fiscal and management transfer system, civic participatory and service delivery. Specifically, the Programme will support the Local Government sector to:
- Develop an internally coherent and consistent policy and legislative framework;
- Enhance institutional capacity at central and local levels;
- Develop a predictable and sustainable national fiscal transfer framework;
- Develop an institutional infrastructure system to support human skills development priorities that enhance the policy, institutional and administrative capacities;
- Enhance civic participation in local governance.
UNDP Zimbabwe Jobs 2013
It also seeks to build strong partnerships between the parent ministry, local authorities, local government associations and the private sector in addressing accountability and service delivery challenges through, among others, promotion of public/ private partnership arrangements. The Ministry has the role to facilitate, coordinates, regulate, monitor and supports all local government bodies in a bid to provide efficient and sustainable services, improve the welfare of the people. To this end, the Ministry will require the technical and support services of a Programme Coordinator to support the execution of the programme.
Under the guidance of the UNDP Deputy Country Director (Programme) and the Permanent Secretary for Ministry of Local Government, Urban and Rural Development, the Programme Coordinator will be responsible for overall management of the programme on Capacity Building for Local Government and Service Delivery. In managing the programme, the Programme Coordinator will be supervised by the Assistant Resident Representative (ARR) and the Ministry’s Programme Manager, work closely with the UNDP GGM Unit and MoLGURD. The Programme Coordinator will ensure that implementation of this capacity building support programme is consistent with UNDP rules and regulations and will focus on the following areas.
UNDP Zimbabwe Jobs 2013
Duties and Responsibilities
Support the implementation of the programme on “Capacity Building for Local Government and Service Delivery”:
- Coordinate and work with MoLGURD in the implementation and monitoring of the programme, ensuring participation and coordination with relevant actors;
- Manage the implementation of this capacity building support programme, through developing workplans, monitoring and evaluation of plans, and resolving challenges that arise in the process in conjunction with MoLGURD;
- Manage day to day administrative matters of the Programme;
- Manage the performance of consultants and specialist advisors engaged to support the Programme;
- Manage Programme implementation activities, including design of ToR for consultancies in consultation with MoLGURD;
- Develop specific activities, including preparation of concept papers and agendas in consultation with MoLGURD;
- Provide secretariat, technical and advisory support services to the Programme Board and Programme Management Team meeting, amongst others.
Overall management and supervision of the support Programmes:
- Monitor the overall progress and performance of the support Programme by ensuring proper planning, benchmarking and target setting;
- Provide quality analysis and substantive inputs to the development and management of the support Programme, in close cooperation with GoZ and UN agencies;
- Prepare annual workplans, budgets and other documents for the management of support Programmes;
- Monitor Programme progress against annual and quarterly workplans and budgets;
- Monitor and evaluate activities implemented;
- Manage the accurate and timely narrative and financial reporting obligations on the progress of the support Programme.
- Consolidate inputs from the Programme, as required and ensure reports are provided to donors according to UNDP’s contractual obligations;
- Provide periodic updates to the UNDP ARR and Ministry Programme Manager on the implementation and work progress of the support Programme.
Provides technical and advisory support to the MoLGURD and facilitates knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Provide technical and advisory support services to the MoLGURD on the implementation of the support to capacity strengthening;
- Support policy dialogue processes and best practices on local government capacity building issues with various stakeholders;
- Identify opportunities for enhancing resource mobilisation, knowledge and experience sharing in the MoLGURD; develop relationships with other local government bodies to provide opportunities for learning;
- Prepare information documents and codify data on capacity building issues for MoLGURD.
UNDP Zimbabwe Jobs 2013
Competencies UNDP Zimbabwe Jobs 2013
- Organizational Awareness
- Developing and Empowering People / Coaching and Mentoring
- Working in Teams
- Communicating Information and Ideas
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence
- Conflict Management / Negotiating and Resolving Disagreements
- Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making
Operational Effectiveness and Expertise
- Able to establish goals and priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor workplans
- Able to manage several tasks simultaneously in a high-stress work environment
- Displays ability to manage formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development Programme s
- Demonstrates practical knowledge in capacity development approaches
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed, identify problems and opportunities
- Identifies clients’ needs and develops appropriate solutions
- Able to work independently and show initiative
- Displays knowledge of local government processes, procedures and international best standards
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to the ideas, interests and concerns of others
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office and with stakeholders
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve goals and promotes good team spirit
Partnering and Networking
- Initiates and maintains relationships with partners
- Exhibits ability to work collaboratively and inclusively with counterparts
- Ensures effective coordination and cooperation with key partners
- Able to develop and implement joint workplans
- Demonstrates ability to mentor staff and provide guidance and support
- Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority
- Accurately judges the time and resources need to accomplish a task and matches task to skills
- Establishes and monitors progress against milestones and deadlines
- Possesses excellent communications skills, both spoken and written;
- Is able to articulate information and ideas in a clear and concise manner
UNDP Zimbabwe Jobs 2013
Required Skills and Experience UNDP Zimbabwe Jobs 2013
- Masters degree in Political Science, International Relations, Law, Social Sciences, Business Administration, Public Administration, Public Policy or related field.
- A higher post graduate qualification will be a distinct advantage.
- A minimum of 7 years progressively responsible experience in local government sector, Programme management, preferably with a focus on institutional capacity development for local government.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare Programme proposals and manage financial and human resources,
- Demonstrated ability in monitoring and evaluating development Programmes.
- Experience in designing capacity building training programmes.
- Experience and knowledge of UN financial, human resource, procurement, management and general operations policies is an asset
- Experience working in a multi-cultural and/or international work environment.
- Wide experience of technical advisory support and overall capacity development, preferably in Africa.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
- Competent in usage of MS Office software programmes (MS Word, Excel, Power-Point)
- Knowledge of Results Based Management methodologies would be an asset